Ensuring confidentiality of patient information, HIPAA gains importance in the modern health care environment. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) has established identifiable policies regarding utilization and exposure of health details of individual patients.
Fundamental Points in HIPAA
HIPAA specifies non-disclosure of protected health information without proper permission from patients toward health care requirements and other benefits. It also investigates compliance–related issues seriously.
Significance of HIPAA in Medical Transcription
- Legal Requirement: HIPAA being a law, violations would result in malpractice litigation. Infringers are accountable and liable to be charged with penalties.
- Medical Ethics Perspective: It is ethically essential to maintain private health information of patients in secure manner – the responsibility being entrusted with the treating physician and other supporting staff or medical professionals. Upon being able to trust the doctor completely, patients will divulge all details about their medical data. The more details a treating physician gets from the patient, the better the care given.
- Prevention of medical identity theft: Patients’ health records contain sensitive information such as medical complaints, prescription, treatment, allergies, tests, and so on. Transcription process involving constant transmission of such personal information, there are opportunities for information being stolen. Unlawful use of such data calls for proper compliance that would dispel patients’ concerns regarding illegal divulging of information.
Precautions to be Taken By Medical Transcription Service Providers
- Password protection of computers used
- Firewalls for preventing unauthorized access to computer networks
- File transfer using encryption
- Random checks and audits
- Regular backups
- Personnel who handle personal health information need to sign non-disclosure agreements
Rapid Care Transcription Pvt Ltd is the market leader in medical transcription services. We have been partnering with global health care facilities and catering to their clinical documentation needs since more than 16 years.
It is our endeavor to provide accurate and high-quality medical transcription solutions. We guarantee an accuracy of around 99% and assure delivery under the shortest possible TAT. You may contact us on our Toll-free number 888-354-6417 or visit our website www.rapidcare.net for more details.